UAPI Group Specifications #
See the menu on the left for a list of all specifications.
- Boot Loader Specification: Defines a set of file formats and naming conventions to allow distribution independent boot loader menus supportable by multiple bootloaders.
- Base Directory Specification: Standardises default locations and environment variables for locating common files or base directories. This is derived from, and extends, the XDG Base Directory Specification, to allow for separation between vendor and admin configuration files, drop-in files, and masking.
- Discoverable Partitions Specification: Discusses GUID UUIDs for auto-discovery of partition semantics and mount points.
Work in Progress #
See open PRs on github.
This section clarifies on terms and abbreviations used in specs and other documents.
General terms and abbreviations #
- MOK – Machine Owner Key (shim)
- PCR – TPM Platform Configuration Registers
- TPM – Trusted Platform Module (security chip)
- SBAT – UEFI Secure Boot Advanced Targeting
Terms and abbreviations specific to UAPI group specifications #
- DDI - Discoverable Disk Image
- DPS - Discovery Partition Specification
- UKI - Unified Kernel Images (sd-stub + kernel + initrd + more)
- BLS - Boot Loader Specification
- sysext – System Extension Image (type of DDI that is overlayed on top of
/opt/via overlayfs and can extend the underlying OS vendor resources in a composable, immutable fashion)
- syscfg – System Configuration Image (type of DDI that is overlayed on top of
/etc/via overlayfs and can extend the underlying OS’ configuration in a composable, immutable fashion)
Please use the specifications issue tracker to engage with the project.